Last year, as part of our outreach, we handed out Giant gift cards during the holidays.
This generated some interesting discussions about money, groceries, and monthly budgets, so we thought we’d blog about it.
Ever Feel Like a Slave to Money?
Yea, we all do sometimes. We recently came across this verse from the book of Proverbs in the Bible: “The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.” (22:7)
Do you often find yourself thinking that there has to be a better way to handle money? Well, there is! And know this – it’s not looking for that life-altering bailout! Let’s face it, we’re not going to win the lottery and be set for life. There isn’t a ‘Mr. Right’ just waiting so he can sweep you off your feet and kiss your financial worries away forever!
Here are six easy steps to follow to help you manage your money better, get your bills paid, and learn that there are other opportunities out there!
- Don’t be stupid, silly! Simple as that. Don’t make silly, stupid mistakes with your money! Don’t expect to pay your oil bill or go birthday shopping if you blew your money last week to go out with the girls for a night! Plan ahead for those things and stick to it – even if it means staying home, watching a movie, and drinking hot chocolate for a night.
- Buy what you can afford. If you’re looking at a car and someone is asking $2500 but you only have $1500 and have doctor bills to pay, don’t buy the car! Look for something within your budget.
- Youneedabudget.com! Yes, you do, but you don’t need a fancy online program. This is where we can help, especially if you don’t want to tackle this alone. So, let’s say you have an outstanding electric bill, but every time you look at your financial situation it’s enough to make you want to drink. Call us instead and let’s look at it together! We have geniuses among us who enjoy the challenge of helping to establish a budget and know what you can spend each month according to what you make or know what you need to make.
- Plan for storms! Be prepared with an emergency fund ($100 – $500) for those car repair or furnace repair bills. Yes, you can do it! Remember that money you spent last week on…..yea, that! Don’t spend it, save it next time or only spend half of it. You get the idea!
- Get out of debt! In fact, run from it!! So, go back to #4, and #1…oh, and #2. Let us help you make a plan! Call today to set up a time to stop in, grab a hot drink and tackle those finances with a friend and someone who isn’t afraid to punch numbers with you – and has assured us that they will take on the challenge of setting up a plan and helping anyone become debt free!
- Eat some chocolate. 🙂 Need I say more?
Consider this quote: “The man who never has money enough to pay his debts has too much of something else.” -James Lendall Basford.
If you can relate to this, let us help you find freedom from being a slave to money, and enjoy the life God has given you! Contact us today!